KIDNEY STONES/RENAL CALICULI:- (VRUKKA ASHMARI )
- Kidney stones are formed due to crystallization of minerals and waste materials found in urine. Size of the kidney stone might vary from the size of a pinhead and may pass easily while defecating urine, or it can be as large as grapefruit which obstructs the urinary pathway causing acute pain and bleeding as well as blocking the flow of urine.
In Ayurveda it is called as Vrukka Ashmari :- VrukkaKidney;Ashmari-Stones
- Improper diet and sedentary lifestyle
- Dehydration :- not replenishing the lost fluids due to sun exposure for long hours,etc.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol/tea/coffee.
- Indulging in heavy,oily,sweet and indigestible foods and reduced intake of fresh vegetables, salt, and alkaline-producing foods.
- Less intake of water.
- Diet high in meat,fish and poultry
- Suppressing the urge to pass stools and urine.
- Acute pain in the flanks radiating towards the lower abdomen and groin area.
- Pain is usually associated with severe perspiration, nausea and vomiting.
- Burning sensation while passing the urine/Urine urgency.
- Might cause some bleeding through urinary tract if stones are large /sharp.
- Fever with chills might be associated.
- According to ayurveda improper diet and life style leads to aggravation of all the three doshas(VATA,PITTA and KAPHA) and impairment of digestive fire,causing formation of toxins(ama) in the body. These toxins travel down the channels carrying urine(mutra vaha srotas), where aggravated doshas combine with it, causing its crystallization and leading to the formation of Kidney stones.
DIET & LIFESTYLE :-
- Avoid tea,coffee,fish,alcohol,poultry,meat,spinach and chocolate
- Avoid sour,heavy and dry food.
- Drink at least 1-2lit water daily.
- Avoid suppressing urges to defecate and urinate.
- Herbs useful in this condition:-
Punarnava (Borhavia diffusa)
Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris)
Ushira (Vetiveria zizanioidis)