In Ayurveda,the word “tvak” or “carma” is used for skin. Tvacha is derived from “tvach-samvarne dhatu meaning the covering of the body. Skin is an exterior differentiation of what is perceived by the sense of touch. This sense of touch spreads over the entire body and is derived from the power of vayu.
Sushruta described the process of formation of tvacha in developing foetus. He says that after fertilization of ovum, tvacha develops just like a cream on the surface of milk, which gradually increase in thickness, differentiating into 7 layers of skin, and is produced by all 3 doshas particularly by pitta dosha.
SKIN HAS THREE MAJOR FUNCTIONS
1. Visarga – the process of receiving ,which is presided by pitta.
2. Adana – the process of giving out or ejecting which is presided by kapha.
3. Viksepa – the process of moving about or pulsativity which is presided by vata.
NIDANA (CAUSE) OF SKIN DISORDERS
*ati sevana – (excessive intake) of pickles, sauce, bakery stuff, black gram, curd, seafood, meat, fried food, sesame oil
*mithya ahara – which is related to faulty food patterns and sequences, excessive intake of alcohol
*virrudha ahara – wrong combinations of food, like fish with milk
*mithya vihara – improper physical,vocal and mental activities
So due to the above causative factors, there is vitiation of tridoshas and saithilyata in the dhatus such as tvak, rakta, mamsa and lasika and hence kustha gets manifested. In Ayurveda all skin diseases comes under the roof of kustha (means disease which disfigures the body).
COMMON DISORDERS AND TREATMENT:-
- Acne vulgaris
- This is referred to “yuvanapidaka”. According to Ayurveda they are the so called “pimples” in common language which are mostly found in adolescents. It is the most common of all skin problems. Acne are mostly seen on the face, upper part of chest and the back. They are mostly triggered by eating excess greasy food, chocolates and spicy food. Other factors like stress, heredity, oily skin, contribute to the development of acne. Oral contraceptive pills can also cause outbreak of acne.
- Eat more fibre rich diet such as whole grain cereals, which helps in balancing normal hormonal levels in body
- Drink 8 glasses of water / day to ensure adequate hydration of skin
- Cut down on sweets which aggravates acne.
- Apart from this there are number of internal medicines which can be prescribed according to one’s body type and the dosha involved.
- is a common scalp condition in which the scalp becomes tough, itichy, dry and cracked. According to Ayurveda this is mainly due to kapha and vata involvement and is referred as “darunaka”. This appears to run in families. Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin, infrequent shampoos or skin cleaning, use of lotions that contain alcohol, skin disorders (acne) or obesity may increase the risk. Avoiding fried foods, dairy products, chocolates, nuts, seafood and foods containing refined sugar or flour could help in preventing this condition.
- Natural/herbal hair products should be used to wash hair
- Avapida nasyam, sirovasti and abhyanga are prescribed
- Herbal pastes are very effective in destroying darunaka or dandruff when given along with internal medication, especially in severe cases.
- Psoriasis is a very common skin condition which is non-infectious and non-contagious. The term Psoriasis originated from Greek word “Psora” that means “Itch”. It is a chronic skin disease characterised by dry skin and raised, rough, red areas on the skin covered with fine silvery scales. It most often occurs over the elbows, knees, scalp, lower back, and palms or soles of the feet. Sometimes all over the body.
- In Ayurveda all skin disorders are classified as “KUSHTHA ROGA”. Psoriasis resembles Ek-kushtha and Kithibha-Kushtha.
- According to Ayurveda all the three doshas mainly Vata (air) and Kapha ( water+earth) gets vitiated and accumulation of Ama (toxins) , further vitiate Tvak (skin), Rakta (blood), Mamsa (flesh). Thus, they lead to manifestation of skin lesions in various parts of the body.
- Ayurveda believes that impurities in the blood and emotional stress play an important role in pathogenesis of Psoriasis.
- Causes of Psoriasis-
- Incompatible food (virudha ahar), heavy, cold, oily diet
- Excessive intake of yoghurt, fish, salty and sour food, black gram
- Excess intake of sea food
- Intake of sour and salty food together
- Prolonged intake of fish with milk
- Excess intake of radish and garlic
- Suppression of natural urges
- Too much physical exertion
- Disturbed sleep, stress, anxiety.
- Symptoms of Psoriasis-
- Scaling of skin similar to the scales of the fish
- Inflamed patches of the skin
- Plaques on the red patches
- Dry skin that may crack & bleed
- Itching / burning sensation around patches
- Pricking sensation or Numbness
- Thick or Pitted nails
- Swollen joints
- Treatment of Psoriasis-
- Shodhana Chikitsa ( Detoxification)-It is the process of removal of toxins from the body through Panchkarma therapies like Vamana (induced vomitting), Virechana (purgation) and Raktamokshana. It will be followed by special skin care therapies like Takradhara (gentle flow of medicated buttermilk on the forhead), Kashaydhara (pouring of medicated decoction) or lepanam (application of herbal paste) on affected part or whole body. Shirodhara (gentle flow of medicated oil on forehead) helps in managing stress.
- Shamana Chikitsa- According to patients constitution (prakriti) and the imbalance of Dosha, the ayurvedic consultant will advice internal medication and external application.
- Strict Diet regimen and lifestyle changes will be adviced along with stress management methods.
We at Om Vedic help manage and treat different skin conditions such as Eczema, Psoriasis, Atopic dermatitis, Urticaria, Ringworm, Acne, Dandruff and many more, with the help of ayurvedic therapies. After proper consultation, our Ayurvedic Doctors provide Ayurvedic medicines and therapies (internal as well as external therapies), according to the patient’s constitution and Dosha imbalance in that specific condition.
As many skin diseases are caused due to improper diet, wrong lifestyle and stress, doctors will correct the diet and diet habits and prescribe life style changes needed as per the individual condition. Many ayurvedic therapies like abhyangam, kashayadhara, takradhara, shirodhara, lepam (herbal paste) are very effective in treating skin diseases. These therapies are conducted by experienced therapists at our centre.