Sarvaroga Nivarini: In ayurvedic texts it is described as ‘Sarvaroga Nivarini’ means ‘Panacea- one that cure all aliments or diseases’.
Neem Popularly known as ‘Margosa’ is probably one of the oldest and most widely used medicinal plant in India. Every part of Neem tree possess unique therapeutic value and is also known as the “Village Dispensary”
Taste(Rasa) – Bitter (tikta), Astringent( kashaya)
Quality (Guna) –Light to digest(Laghu), Dry(Ruksha)
Potency(Virya)- cold (sheet)
Properties after Digestion (Vipaka)– Pungent (katu)
Effect on Tridosha – Balances Pitta and kaphadoshas.
Pharmacological action– Kandughna( Relieves itchiness), kasahara ( relieves cough), krimihara ( Anti-helmenthic), vranahara ( cleans & heals wound), Kushthara ( useful in skin diseases), Agnikrut (improves digestion), Mehanut (controls blood sugar), Jwaraghna(anti-pyretic)
Parts Used- Leaves, bark, seeds, oil, flowers
Benefits of Neem-
1.Blood Purifier- Neem helps in purifying the blood and eliminates toxins from the body. It is well known liver detoxifier.It is very useful in treating skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, skin rashes and allergies. It is the best remedy for acne and pimples. It supports healthy skin and a clear complexion.
2. Immunity booster- Neem is best anti oxidant. It supports natural immunity and protects body from free radical damage.
3. Respiratory system-Due to its bitter taste ,it Helps to relieve cough. It is very useful in infective respiratory problems.
4. Digestive system- It helps to relieve nausea, vomiting, anorexia. Neem is anti-helmenthic and is very useful in relieving intestinal worms.
5. It controls blood sugar level and is useful in urinary tract diseases.
6. Anti-bacterial and anti fungal properties of Neem make it very popular in shampoos , scalp cleanser and is useful as anti-dandruff.
7. Neem extract prevents pyorrhea, periodontal diseases and tooth decay. It also gives relief from bad breath.
8.It is a good disinfectant. In ancient times patient suffering from chicken pox was made to sleep on bedmade of neem leaves.
9. Neem is an excellent wound healer .
10. Neem leaf extract is used in the treatment of malaria.
Children, people with diabetes , pregnant and lactating women should use neem only under medical supervision.
Neem is widely used internally as well as externally in different forms-Capsules, powder, Kashayam, juice, paste, oil, creams, lotions, soaps, face wash, face pack, shampoos, tooth paste, mouth wash.
For any health issues and free consultations, do Contact our Drs at
Om Vedic Heritage Centre @ 43, Tessensohn Road, Tel-6297 2670
AyurVeda Pharmacy @ 8, Belilios Lane , Tel- 6341 5020