Fibromyalgia is a chronic widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by sleep, mood and memory issues. It is generally associated with muscle pain, stiffness and tenderness throughout the body.
Ayurveda says, here vata dosha is vitiated and pitta and kapha are also out of order. This imbalance in fibromyalgia is known as Mansavrit Vata.
This condition is usually caused by the buildup of toxins (Ama) accumulated by improper diet, weak digestion, late nights etc. creating imbalance in vata and hence will cause the below symptoms.
· Generalized body pain
· Tiredness on rising
· Cognitive difficulties such as trouble in concentrating, forgetfulness and disorganized thinking
The treatment should concentrate on detoxification of body (Panchakarma) and balancing of vata-dosha
For balancing the vata dosha, the patient should follow the below guidelines.
· Sleeping during the day or very late in the night should be avoided too.
· Go to bed by 10pm at night
· Maintain a regular daily routine
· Abyanga- Massaging the body with medicated oils every day
· Avoid the junk food
· Purgation Therapy – Releasing and eliminating the impurities and rejuvenating of the tissues.
· Shirodhara (treatment for nervous system).
· Swedana (steam bath, hot fomentation)
· Basti (enema)
Samshamana (palliative care) - Ayurvedic Medicines:
· Herbs such as Ashwangandha, Viadari, Shatavari, Bala, Nirgundi, Parijataka and chitrak are anti-inflammatory.
· Analgesics can also be used in various forms (Kashaya, Parishek and powders)
· Dasmoolaristam 20ml 2 times in a day
· Maharanadi Kashayam 15ml diluted with 60ml of warm water
· Triphala choorna 1tsp at bed time
Diet and nutrition:
· Fruits such as guava, pomegranate and melons are beneficial if taken during breakfast or during the day but before 7pm in evening.
· Juices of bottle guard, beet and carrot with some ginger in it.
· Vegetable soups of beans, celery and asparagus can be consumed.
· Green bean soup made with mild spices like cumin, coriander, salt and turmeric will be beneficial.
· Raw salads should be minimized.
Food to Avoid:
· Spicy food
· Extreme hot or cold food
· Fried Food
· Vegetables such as Brinjal (eggplant), Potatoes, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Spinach Okra
· Excess of tea, coffee, alcohol, and yogurt
· Chocolate and cocoa
Yoga and meditation
Pranayama and yogasanas are recommended for supporting physical healing and relaxation of mind. Efforts should be made to get rid of mental tension, stress, emotional function, anxiety, worry and grief. One has to practice stretching exercises (poses) regularly.
Treatment Case Study
Patient came with compaint of severe pain all over body and lack of concentration and having been diagnosed with adult ADHD. The patient also had a history of IBS.
1st week: Felt relief in pain with therapy
Useful drugs: Trikatu, Amalaki, Guduchi
Patient was advised to continue with the diet changes and light body massage at home.
Disclaimer: All data provided in this website is to be used for information purposes only. The website’s content is not a substitute for direct, personal, professional medical care and diagnosis. Examples in these materials are not to be interpreted as a promise or guarantee. Customer testimonials as found on our Website are strictly the opinion of that person; your results may vary based upon your constitution or circumstances.