Common names used for gastritis : Gastrouble,chest burn, acid belching,acid peptic disorder,paittic problem.
- In ayurvedic system of medicines it is called as amlapitta.
- The word amlapitta is derive from two words,amla and pitta.Amla means acidic in nature and pitta meansa substance which is liquid in nature, sharp,bitter an unctuous.GERD means Gastro oesophagial reflex disease
- GERD is a back flow of the contents of the stomach into the oesophagus.
- According to ayurveda this condition is known as "Urdhvag amlapitta".Ayurvedic considered it to be caused by the aggravation of pitta doshe.when kapha is associated with this aggravated pitta,the acid starts climbing the oesophagus.
- 1. Excessive use of oil and spicy food
- 2.Irregular eating habbits
- 3.Consumption of maida products in large quantity
- 4.To use leafy vegetables in large
- 5.Sleeping just after taking the meal
- 6.Do not sleep properly,long working hours
- 7.Excessive intake of cafine and nicotin products
- 8.Carbonated drinks
- 10.Food which are rich in fats
- 11.Excessive intake of alcohol,smocking
- 12.Keeping empty stomach for long time
- 13.Skipping breakfast causes hyper acidity lead to GERD
- 14.Other causes are aging,obesity,bad food habbits
- Acid belching
- Regurgitation of food or sour substances
- Gaseous distention of abdomen
- Improper digestion
- Irregular appetite
- Tired nss
- Burning of chest
- Pricking sensation in the chest
- Rarely - Constipation,back pain, disturbed sleep,lack of concentration and weak memory.
- Reasons for Hyperacidity/gastritis/amlapitta
- .Incompatable food ( virudha ahara)
- .polluted food (dushta ahara).eg; preservatives,pesticidesetc.
- .Sour substances ( ati amala )
- .Spicy food ( vidahi )
- .Pitta aggravating food habbits
If the condition is not treated at early stage itself it might lead to gastric ulcer, malabsorption, head ache, backache.
AYURVEDIC MODE OF TREATMENT:
- 1st is to pecify the pitta with help of medicines and diet modifications
- In extreamly bad conditions,emesis is carried out to pull out all accumulated acid
- After subsiding aggravated pitta and symptoms,rejuvinative medicines are prescribed to prevent the remission of the condition.
COMMON HERBS USED IN GASTRITIS:
- Neem( azadirechta indica)
- Amla (Indian gooseberry)
- Amrita / guduchi
- Haritaki (terminalia chebula)
- Ela ( cardamom)
- Jirakam( cumin seeds )
COMMON AYURVEDIC FORMULATIONS (to be taken after consulting ayurvedic physician)
- Avibathi choornam
- Dhanwantaram gulika
- Eladi gulika
- Drakshadi kashayam
Treatment Case Study
Age – 35yrs Sex-Male
- Constant pain in the stomach especially after having food (spicy/oily/gassy).
- Sometimes sour belching on and off.
- Constant feeling of bloated stomach and heavy stomach. Lack of appetite.
- Has been suffering from stomach pain and bloated feeling past many years.
- Also suffers from constipation.
- Has been seeking treatment for this past many years but nothing seems to improve the condition.
- Treatment started with diet and lifestyle modification, such as having food at proper time, chewing food properly, avoiding spicy food,etc.
- Medicines were prescribed for period of 4 weeks.
- 1st week:- Less bloated ,better appetite.
- 2nd week:- regular bowels, better appetite no reflux.
- 3rd week:- No pain in the stomach, no belching and bloated stomach.
- 4th week:- Patient was feeling relived from all of his symptoms.
He was asked to follow strict diet and lifestyle for further 2 months.
- some herbs in ayurveda to help in GERD
- some medicines in ayurveda
- Avibathikara choornam
- Indukantam ghritam
- dadimadi ghritam
- drakshadi kashayam
- Sukumara kashayam
- Guduchyadi kashayam
- Shankha bhasmam