- Common names used for acidity: gas trouble, gastritis, acid belching, Hyperacidity, acid reflux.
- In ayurvedic system of medicne it is called as AMLAPITTA.
- The word amla pitta is derived from two words-amla & pitta.---Amla means acidic in nature (super Sour Taste) and pitta is the Dosha. This means there is excessive secretion of Pitta Dosha( one of the three doshas) in the stomach.
- 'HURRY','WORRY' and 'CURRY' are the three main reasons for the disease.
- Acid belching
- Regurgitation of food or sour substances
- Gaseous distention of abdomen
- Irregular appetite
- Nausea, Vomitting
- Tired ness
- Rarely constipation,back pain , disturbed sleep, lack of concentration & weak memory
CAUSES OF AMLAPITTA/ HYPERACIDITY/ GASTRITIS
- Viruddha ahara -Incompatable food
- Dushta ahara -Food with preservatives, pesticides etc
- Sour substances
- Spicy food
- Pitta agravating food
- If the condition is not treated in the early stage itself it might lead to gastric ulcer,malabsorption, headache ,backache.
AYURVEDIC MODE OF TREATMENT
- First is to pacify the pitta with the help of medicines and diet modification
- In extremely bad condition,emesis is carried out to pull out all accumulated acid
- After subsiding the aggravated pitta,rejuvinative medicines are prescribed to prevent the remission of the condition.
COMMON HERBS USED IN GASTRITIS
- Jeerakam ( cumin seeds )
- Common ayurvedic formulation-
- Avipathi choornam
- Dhanwantaram gulika
- Eladi gulika
- Drakshadi kashayam
Treatment Case Study
Sex - Male Age -48yrs
Patient was suffering from acute abdominal pain whenever he used to eat, along with some acid reflux. His stomach was bloated and foul smell in the mouth. He was scared of taking food, so used to consume very less amount of food.
Since he was young he was having on and off bouts of acidity but never gave him trouble unless he took spicy food. Few months ago patient followed some diet for weight loss and lost upto 10kgs, but after that his symptoms got aggravated, and whatever he used to eat gave him bloated stomach and burning sensation.
He was put under strict diet (which helps in healing the stomach and he won’t get the symptoms as above). He was advised some ayurvedic medicines for 1 week and was advised to do follow up.
- After 1 week:- Bloated feeling had reduced and he was able to eat comfortably.
- 2nd week:- bitter taste of the mouth had reduced along with burning sensation.
- 3rd -4th week:- Patient was feeling relieved of all the symptoms.
- Patient was still advised to follow the same diet and medication for 2 months.
Disclaimer: All data provided in this website is to be used for information purposes only. The website’s content is not a substitute for direct, personal, professional medical care and diagnosis. Examples in these materials are not to be interpreted as a promise or guarantee. Customer testimonials as found on our Website are strictly the opinion of that person; your results may vary based upon your constitution or circumstances.