Shirovasti is the most intensive, potent external oil application. Shirovasti is a special technique to administer medicated oil on the head.
Just as the roof is a very part of every home, protecting us from scorching heat, chilly wind and incessant rainfall, similarly the head is the most crucial part of the human body. We need to keep it healthy and strong if we wish to enjoy good health overall. Shirovasti is a great means to stay healthy and happy.
Shirovasti is derived from two words—shiro means “head” and vasti means “container”. Under this therapy, a small leather vessel in the shape of a cap is placed on top of the head. Then, herbal oil is slowly and steadily poured inside the vessel so that it stays within and warms the head. This therapy is extremely effective in case of headache, migraine and stress. Since it relaxes the mind, it also helps to boost immunity and keep the body active.
When is Shirovasti required?
According to Ayurveda, Shirovasti helps keep vata dosha under control. Shirovasti is extremely beneficial in treating the following problems.
The patient is made to sit upright on a wooden stool and medicated oil is applied on the body and head. Then a chamber or cap made of flexible leather, open on both sides, is fitted on the head with black gram paste to prevent leaking of the oil. The medicated oil is warmed to just above body temperature and poured into the cap. The oil is allowed to remain inside the cap for about 30 to 45 minutes or till the manifestation of proper signs of efficient treatment, whichever is earlier, and drained out. To maintain the temperature, some amount of oil should be replaced with warm oil at regular interval. Afterwards the head is wiped with a clean dry cotton cloth. Again medicated oil is applied on the body and head and the patient is given body bath in warm water.
- It relieves pricking pain and burning sensation in head.
- Helps to calm the mind, promotes quality sleep and improves peripheral circulation providing strength to lower limbs.
- It is a great therapy for treating paralysis, Parkinsons, insomnia, and depression.
- Beneficial in treating neurological diseases such as head ache & migraine.
- It is also useful for dryness of nostrils, mouth and throat, severe headaches, burning sensation of head, eye diseases, diseases of cranial nerves and hair fall.
- It is also helpful to improve memory and vision.
Nourishes hair and scalp. It is a great therapy to treat burning sensation of scalp.
- It helps nourish the brain and thereby promoting intellect.